Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Great Healer

I was reading a talk this morning by Elder Patrick Kearon of the Seventy titled, "Come unto Me with Full Purpose of Heart, and I Shall Heal You." This was a talk he gave this last General Conference. I have been reading a lot about the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I do not plan on it, but for some really odd reason I end up reading about Christ and His Atonement. Elder Kearon shared an experience during his childhood years where he was told by his parents to always wear shoes to protect his feet from threats that were found in the desert. One day he rebelled against this simple principle and went out with just flip-flops. He got bit by a scorpion that caused him a lot of pain and put his own life on a threat. He related this experience to our lives as we live the gospel. Sometimes we try and take short cuts because of our laziness and rebellious behavior. He says, "...we know the commandments and standards we have covenanted to uphold. When we choose another path from the one we know to be right, as taught by our parents and leaders and as confirmed to our own hearts by the Holy Ghost, it is like stepping onto the desert sand in flip-flops instead of shoes." But the Lord knows us more than we know ourselves and is anxious to help us. He has given us commandments for our own benefit. He also has given us the agency to choose because He loves and wants us to choose for ourselves. But to make right choices so we can return to Him again.

We can try to lay down our weapons of rebellion and not fight against God. When we do so, "we qualify ourselves for the Lord's healing and peace." I am grateful for the healing power of the Savior's Atonement. We are not perfect, but the Savior can help us through our weaknesses and or shortcomings. But all He asks for us to do is to "[come] unto Him with a full purpose of heart." (3 Nephi 10:6) Elder Kearon ends with a powerful message, "Our Savior is the Prince of Peace, the Great Healer, the only One who can truly cleanse us from the sting of sin and the poison of pride and change our rebellious hearts into converted, covenant hearts." The Atonement is real and only through Jesus Christ we can be healed. I know this to be true and I so testify in His holy name, Jesus Christ. Amen.

5 comments:

  1. We must allow Christ to be a part in our life. He is always there waiting for us, but we have to make sure we let him enter our lives and change us. What a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post Sister! I know that sometimes we want to wear flip flops instead of tennis shoes, but if we take the time to put the proper shoes on (ie prayer scripture study) we will be protected from satan's sting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Sister Lewis! And nice scripture too, ilike :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is definitely something I'm growing a testimony of. We must sacrifice our will to truly become free. Great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the quote "coverted,covenant hearts." Your post makes also think of Uchtdorf's talk about "2 degrees." Do you remember that talk? I know that I am required to walk the line with steel-toed boots if I want the Spirit to guide my footsteps. Forget the flip-flops! The second I become lazy, I know I am off by 2 degrees and I need to step it up and remember my covenants and reprioritize what I am doing! What a great post-thank you for sharing your heart and thoughts! I'm sure your blog has blessed so many!

    ReplyDelete