Saturday, March 19, 2011

Helping Hands


I read an article in the Ensign this morning that really helped answered some of my concerns and struggles that I have been going through. I love to help people in any way I can, especially helping them to receive the gospel. And it has been a problem to me because I want to help them so much, but sometimes they just don't want the help. But as I read this article, I began to ponder about how I can relate this story to me and what I am going through. I like to help and see others change because it makes me happy. And when I don't see a change or things don't go the way I want it to be or expect it to be I get sad, discouraged, or frustrated. And sometimes I feel like I am not doing the very best I can or I have failed. But as I was pondering about this, a verse from the scriptures came to mind, "...for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength." (Mosiah 4:27) We all can choose for ourselves and that is something I need to instill in my mind. That as much as I want to help others, they have their own free will to choose. But what I can do is love them despite their weaknesses, struggles, or choices that they make. God is the father of our souls and He knows each and everyone of us personally. He also has a specific plan for everyone. And is preparing a way for each and everyone of His children to come unto Him. Just like how He has prepared me to be who I am today. It is through the Savior's Atonement where we can be healed and that is His role, not mine. I know that the Lord wants me to believe and trust in Him and to not give up on Him, His timing, or His ways.

4 comments:

  1. We are a lot alike, Sister Lewis! Mosiah 4 is my sbsolute favorite chaper in The Book of Mormon! I like to help others, too, and can sometimes feel like I love too much and it can hurt. But just like you said in you last post, He can heal it! SO we never need to feel taken advantage of or that are efforts are wasted, for He sees everything we do and He will reward us in some other way, if things don't go like we'd hoped!
    Thanks for the reminder of that scripture...I was planning on making Kreispy Kreme doughnuts for the YW tomorrow and after reading that scripture, I decided maybe I should keep it more simple! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for that reminder Sister Lewis, you are just so smart! I'm going to try to love everyone more, even when i get yelled at! they are still my brother or sister and i dont know there reason, all i know is that the Savior loves them and that mean's that i should too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is hard.. they do have their agency to choose, and its frusterating cause we know just how much the gospel can help them and bless them and change their lives. I know that if we continue to keep them in our prayers they will see that it does bring them happiness. just continue to love them, something your very good at. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed! I think sometimes we can take the gift of agency for granted, especially when it comes to those we teach. :P It's always good to remember how great a gift that it is, and the price the Savior paid for us to have it. :)

    ReplyDelete