Friday, February 4, 2011

Let Go and Let GOD






This morning during personal study I felt like Heavenly Father was talking to me personally. It has been a crazy and hectic week for me; but on the other hand, it has been so much fun. The week started out with an all mission conference with one of the elders quorum of the seventy, Elder Patrick Kearon, who came and spoke to us. The meeting was very powerful and the messages delivered from the leaders brought me so much peace and comfort. They talked a lot about the many miracles that we receive, love, and being of good cheer. After the meeting I left spiritually drained and excited for the new changes that were made because of transfers. I have a new companion, training, and I am driving. I don't know how that happened, but I know that this is what the Lord wants me to do. To be honest, I have been a little nervous, worried, and have been praying a lot to Heavenly Father just to help me to know what I can do to better serve and train my companion. I am definitely learning a lot from her, and I hope she is learning a lot from me as well. Because I feel inadequate at times and that I am not doing a good job.
But this morning as I was reading the Ensign for personal study, Heavenly Father spoke to me multiple times in the different articles that I read. Here are a couple of things I learned this morning that I want to share because I know it can relate to everyone.
I first read an article about a young lady that was just confused if she was doing the right thing in marrying her fiance. She felt at one point that she was hopeless and wasn't suited for marriage. She says: "The world teaches us to think we are unattractive, unacceptable, and unworthy of love if we don’t meet the arbitrary standards it sets for us. Sometimes it’s hard to turn away from such loud and convincing lies, but our Father in Heaven will always be there to remind us of our worth and of the value He sees in us. His standard, not the world’s, is the true measure of our worth. The more we believe and accept the Lord’s love, the more we will love Him and trust in Him." I know as we put our trust in the Lord, "the God of hope [will] fill you with joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope."(Roman 15:13) The Lord is the one who can help you through all things, and as we trust Him, He reminds us that we have everything to hope for.

Another talk that I read was by Joseph Fielding McConkie, Finding Answers. A section in the article that talks about a young man that had some difficulty so he went to his bishop for a counsel. As he explained his issue to the bishop, the bishop listened carefully and asked some questions. The bishop confessed that he didn't know what to counsel him, but he is visiting with the stake president that night so he will ask him. On that night, the bishop brought the matter up to the stake president. Again, as the stake president was listening carefully and thoughtfully, asked some questions. But he too confessed that he didn't know what to say to him, but he was meeting with a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostle so he will ask him. The next day when the stake president met with the Apostle, he brought up the matter to him. He explained it carefully and the apostle asked a few questions. For the third time, the apostle told him that he will be meeting with President David O. McKay so he will bring this matter up to him. "That afternoon he met with President David O. McKay (1873–1970) and carefully explained the problem. President McKay listened attentively and asked a few questions to ensure that he understood all that was involved. He said, “Well, that’s his problem, isn’t it?” Sometimes our problems are ours to solve. Heavenly Father gave us the agency, or the freedom to choose so we can use it. Just like the account of the brother of Jared in the Book of Mormon. The brother of Jared brought his questions to the Lord, the Lord helped him out. But when he came back to inquire of the Lord asking, "O Lord, behold I have done even as thou hast commanded me; and I have prepared the vessels for my people, and behold there is no light int hem. Behold, O Lord, wilt thou suffer that we shall cross this great water in darkness?" And the Lord said unto the brother of Jared: What will ye that I should do that ye may have light in your vessels?" (Ether 2:22-23) The brother of Jared went up to the mountain and with his own abilities and talents molten rocks. He then counseled with Heavenly Father again to help give light to the molten rocks that he has made. Heavenly Father wants us to use our agency, abilities, and talents and sometimes we often forget about that. There's a phrase that I often try to remind myself of, "Rely on the Lord at all times." That is true, but sometimes we just need to use our talents, but still counsel with the Lord for help. "In Doctrine and Covenants 9:8 we find the process of revelation: “But behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right.” This process is designed to balance our experience and agency with the wisdom of heaven."



In finding answers to our concerns, questions, or challenges we are going through we must seek to balance agency and inspiration. President Brigham Young explained this doctrine: “If I do not know the will of my Father, and what he requires of me in a certain transaction, if I ask him to give me wisdom concerning any requirement in life or in regard to my own course, or that of my friends, my family, my children, or those that I preside over, and get no answer from him, and then do the very best that my judgment will teach me, he is bound to own and honor that transaction, and he will do so to all intents and purposes.”



I know that Heavenly Father loves each and everyone of us and will help us in any way He can. By putting our trust in Him, to love Him, and have faith that only through Him everything is possible. As we come closer to our Father in heaven, we will feel more of His love and influence in our life. We will know of our divine potential as His sons and daughters and we can find peace, comfort, and true happiness. The Lord trusts us to give us callings, assignments, trials, challenges, and all things so we can experience in order for us to grow and learn. He wants us to use our own talents and abilities, but we can bring the matter up to Him if we need help. He will always be there to lead and guide us in every way. But sometimes we just have to solve our problems with Him on our side. I am grateful for the many gifts and talents Heavenly Father has blessed me with, especially with the gift of agency. I know that as I try my best and strive to fulfill the things that I am commissioned to do, Heavenly Father will help me succeed. He will never judge me, but will always meet me half way to lift me up and strengthen me.

4 comments:

  1. I read those same articles! I love the scriptures that you paired with them, too! Changes are hard no matter what stage of life you are in, but it looks like you are handling them splendidly! You'll be a great teacher to your new companion and she will never forget your talents and example! Thank you for your sweet, perfect testimony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much Elizabeth:) I haven't blogged in almost a week...so as you can see...that's like one of the longest blog I've ever done. I hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand the hectic week! Keep it up! You are doing amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes you are doing amazing! But hurry and make another blog!...Please:) TY

    ReplyDelete