Thursday, January 27, 2011

Faith, Hope, and Charity



I was reading this morning in Ether 12 and a lot of great things stood out to me. I have read this chapter so many times before. But today I learned more than I ever had before. In Ether 12 the Lord says;

28 “...I will show unto [you, your] weakness, and I will show unto [you] that faith, hope and charity bringeth unto me---the fountain of all righteousness.”

I learned this morning that faith, hope and charity are important to have if we want to be with our Heavenly Father after this life. These are the three qualities that we should all strive to have here on earth as we are progressing, learning, and experiencing this mortal life.
The first thing I want to talk about is Faith. According to the dictionary.com, faith is a belief that is not based on proof. Moroni talked about the faith of the brother of Jared and how with his faith he was able to move the mount Zerin. As well as the faith of the three disciples, the Lord showed himself unto them with great power. I know that as we continue to have faith, we will be able to recognize the many miracles that Heavenly Father has for us.
The second was Hope. “...Man must hope, or he cannot receive and inheritance in the place which thou hast prepared.” Heavenly has prepared His kingdom for his many children and He wants us to all return to him and dwell at His presence. If that's a desire we have, expecting to fulfill it, then it is possible. Hope is an abiding trust that the Lord will fulfill His promises to you. We gain hope as we study the scriptures and follow the teaching of the Lord and his servants.
The last and one of my favorite topic is Charity. As Moroni taught, charity is the pure love of Christ. Therefore, if we don't have charity we can not inherit the kingdom of God. In the same chapter in Ether on verse 35 it says, “...if [you] have not charity, because of your weakness, that [the Lord] wilt prove [you], and take away [your] talent.” I believe this to be true. If we don't have charity—our talents will be taken away from us. As a missionary I have come to recognize that. We had a great lesson with an investigator last night. We met him for the first time and so we just talked to get to know each other more better, explained to him what we do as missionaries, and just an overview of the things we will be teaching. I listened to him, asked him questions, got to know him, but most of all I did it all with all the love that I had within me. I felt the spirit so strong and powerful. We had a great meeting and I am so looking forward for more lessons like this one.
I know that faith, hope, and charity are the three qualities that we should all have to be with Heavenly Father's presence after this life. We also need these qualities to live a happier life. President Uchtdorf in his “The Infinite Power of Hope” talk says, “The things we hope for lead us to faith, while the things we hope in lead us to charity. The three qualities faith, hope, and charity working together, grounded on the truth and light of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, lead us to abound in good works.” I am grateful for the scriptures and for the opportunity I have each day to read, study, and ponder on the things I learned. I was able to learn something really good that doesn't just apply to me, but also others. I am grateful for these qualities that I know I can gain as I work daily to try and become what I want to be!

1 comment:

  1. I also love Ether 12, and it love it when I learn something new from the scriptures that has always been there, but I had never seen!

    I've done splits with Sister Missionaries before, and what an impact they have had when they have gotten to know the investigators and loved them before they taught them. (Just like Jesus did with the Sermon on the Mount. He fed them before He taught them.)

    I love charity,too! I love that all we have to do is ask for it and we will be able to feel His love for His children!(With faith and hope, of coarse.)

    Thank you for your powerful testimony and realization of Ether 12. I have no doubts that you are a wonderful missionary!

    ReplyDelete