Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Qualify for the Spirit

Today I was asked to give a discussion in our District Meeting about this topic: How do we qualify for the Spirit? I read the talk by President Eyring on this last conference titled, "Serve with the Spirit." It is an amazing talk and if you haven't read it, I recommend that you do. He said, "Let us do whatever is required to qualify for the holy ghost as our companion , and then let us go fearlessly so that we will be given the powers to do whatever the Lord calls us to do."
These were some of the things the district gave as an answer to 'how do we qualify for the spirit?':
-Being obedient to the commandments
-Following the mission rules
-Helping others (serving)
-Being worthy
-Virtuous
There are many things we could do to qualify to have the spirit with us. But I will only name three ways that can assist us in qualifying us to have the spirit with us, which are found in President Eyring's talk. They are:
1. We need to put our lives in order first.
Ezra Taft Benson said, "To be a successful [person] one must have the spirit of the Lord. We are also taught that the spirit will not dwell in unclean tabernacles. Therefore, one of the things [we] must do to gain spirituality is to make sure [our] own life [are] in order."
And it starts by having Christ in our life, keeping His commandments, make those covenants with Him. And we do so by following His example and being baptized so we can have His spirit to be with us.
2. Humble ourselves before God and ask for it.
In 1 Nephi 11:1 it says: "For it came to pass after I had desired to know the things that my father had seen, and believing that the Lord was able to make them known unto me, as I sat pondering in mine heart I was caught away in the Spirit of the Lord, yea, into an exceedingly high mountain, which I never had before seen, and upon which I never had before set my foot." As we pray to Heavenly Father in humility, faith, and confidence in Him (not ourselves), He will manifest the truth of it unto us through the spirit.
3. Pondering
When we ponder, really think...not just read or study our scriptures. But contemplate on the things you read and study, you will invite the spirit and the spirit will reveal unto you what your Heavenly Father wants you to do. In the same talk, President Eyring used this scripture in Doctrine and Covenants (138:11), it says: "As I pondered over these things which are written, the eyes of my understanding were opened, and the Spirit of the Lord rested upon me." As we ponder on the things we read from our scriptures, our minds will be enlightened and the spirit will be there to lead and guide us.
I am grateful for the spirit of the Lord that will always be there to lead and guide us as long as we do all that we can to qualify for it. I know as we put our life in order by obeying His simple commandments, relying on Him and putting our trust in Him; His spirit will always be with us. We also need to be humble, have faith, and always ponder on the things that are brought to us, that we can have the companionship of the spirit.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your post! I loved that talk, too-just three simple things, and Viola! Infinite wisdom will grace us, strengthen us, enlighten us and guide us! What a precious gift!

    ReplyDelete