Thursday, January 20, 2011

Our Spiritual Journey



This talk reminds me of this poem that I came across once while I was reading. I don't remember when, where, and how; but it is one of those things that I read that really touched me in some ways. But as I was watching this video, for some reason it reminded me of this poem. It reads:

When you are sad
I will dry your tears
When you are scared
I will comfort your fears
When you are worried
I will give you hope
When you are confused
I will help you cope
and when you are lost
and can't see the light
I shall be your beacon
shining ever so bright
This is my oath
I pledge till the end
Why you may ask
because you're a friend.

We are all in this journey together to find true happiness, but sometimes we just don't know where to find it. True happiness only comes when we have God in our lives, and rely on the Lord Jesus Christ. As we follow the counsel of the prophet Isaiah: "I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song he also is become my salvation," we will find that happiness that we long for. Jesus Christ is our Savior, but he is our friend too. If we rely on Him as a friend He will help us through this journey we are on. Because through Him we can find true happiness.

Elder Neil L. Andersen says "Our spiritual journey is the process of a lifetime. We do not know everything in the beginning or even along the way. Our conversion comes step-by-step, line upon line. We first build a foundation of faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. We treasure the principles and ordinances of repentance, baptism, and receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost. We include a continuing commitment to prayer, a willingness to be obedient, and an ongoing witness of the Book of Mormon. (The Book of Mormon is powerful spiritual nourishment.)" We will have challenges, concerns, doubts, and trials in our journey--but we are not alone.
Jesus Christ said, "Be not afraid, only believe." (Mark 5"36) If we put our trust in Him and have faith He will help us in this spiritual journey that we are on. He will be a comfort to us when we are in need of comfort, He will wipe our tears when we are sad, and He will LOVE us no matter what.

I believe this to be true, that even though we may not know enough--we are not alone. Jesus Christ, our Savior will always be there to lead and guide us as we have faith in Him, repent of our sins, follow His great example and be baptized, and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Once we have entered this righteous path, we continue to endure to the end: by keeping His commandments, serving Him, and do the things that He would want us to do. I am grateful for this journey that we (God's children) are on. That we are never alone and we know enough to find true happiness as we live the gospel daily.

3 comments:

  1. Usually, when I think of Christ I picture him on a much higher level than I'm at, unreachable. However, even though He is definitely on a higher level than we are, He always has a hand outstretched to us. He is our friend, and He will help us through any challenge. There is one member who would always say "Jesus is my best buddy," and he meant it. Christ is our Savior, our Redeemer, the Son of God, and He is also our friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that "Mormon Message" and your sweet poem! I love the part about being lost and not seeing the light, that Jesus will be our beacon. I can whole-heartedly testify to that! I know His love, I know what it feels like and I know how to recognize it in my own life, and those around me. Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That poem is very powerfulm, I don't think I have heard it before. It really made me think of people who have been there for me, and for the Savior's love that has been active all my life! Thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete