Thursday, May 26, 2011

Become A Child...

For these past couple of days I have come across this same phrase in the scripture. First I came across it in the seventh chapter of the book of Alma. "And now I would that ye should be humble, and be submissive and gentle; easy to be entreated; full of patience and long-suffering; being temperate in all things; being diligent in keeping the commandments of God at all times; asking for whatsoever things ye stand in need, both spiritual and temporal; always returning thanks unto God for whatsoever things ye do receive." And this morning I read it again but in the book of Mosiah, which says; "For the natural man is an enemy to God, and has been from the fall of Adam, and will be, for ever and ever, unless he yields to the enticing of the Holy Spirit, and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ the Lord, and becometh a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, and willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father." Couple things stood out to me and were made very clear of how much we need to be like little children because they are the most Christlike, pure, and innocent in the eyes of God.



The first point that I want to talk about is the attributes mentioned in these two verses. It made me think of the great examples that I have seen in children through out my life. And one that I will never forget is an experience that I had in Fairfield. It was about eight o'clock at night and I was driving to the church to do my online proselyting work. I was stopped at a red light, and to my left side there was a mini-van next to me. I noticed a child in the back seat of the car staring at me. We both looked at each other, she then gave me the most beautiful smile and waved at me. She was so happy she was bouncing around and wiggling in her car seat. That small and simple act of kindness made my night! I didn't know the child or her parents, but her countenance, her purity, and her love taught me a lesson that night. Sister Jean A. Stevens this last general conference shared with us how we need to become like little children and look up to them for the examples they are. She said, "If we have a heart to learn and a willingness to follow the example of children, their divine attributes can hold a key to unlocking our own spiritual growth." I know that the examples of children has been a great influence to me. Children are a blessing are are precious gifts with a divine nature and destiny. "These precious children of God come to us with believing hearts. They are full of faith and receptive to feelings of the Spirit. They exemplify humility, obedience, and love. They are often the first to love and the first to forgive." We can all strive to be like a little child. Christ has taught us in the New Testament very clearly what we need to do to inherit the kingdom of God. He said, "Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven. Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven. " (Matthew 18:3-4) I am grateful for the examples I have seen in the many children that have influenced me in my life.

The second point I want to talk about in these two verses were the "need to trust in God, become a child, and to thank Him always." We all have the natural man in us and we are not perfect. But when we come unto the Lord with humility, He will convert our weaknesses to become our strengths. (Helaman 12:27) And children are the best examples! Sister Stevens goes on saying, "These precious children of God come to us with believing hearts. They are full of faith and receptive to feelings of the Spirit. They exemplify humility, obedience, and love. They are often the first to love and the first to forgive." They are closest to God and our Savior and we should look up to them more. She shared some experiences of how children can bless our lives with their innocent yet powerful examples of Christlike attributes. Here's one of my favorite: "Todd, a little boy just two years old, recently went with his mother to an art museum that was showing a special exhibit of beautiful paintings of the Savior. As they walked past these sacred images, she heard her little boy reverently saying the name 'Jesus.' She looked down to see him folding his arms and bowing his head as he viewed the paintings. Could we learn from Todd something about an attitude of humility, of reverence, and of love for the Lord?" What a great example this little Todd showed that we can all learn from.
I am grateful for the many great example that children have showed and expressed to me. It is a great blessing that these precious children are sent to us to remind us daily of what we need to become....to become a little child! I received an email from my cousin announcing the birth of a baby girl. I rejoice in the new birth of little Vicky. I am overwhelmed with joy knowing that this precious little child will be a great example to her parents, her families, friends, and those around her. And my heart is exclaiming with gratitude knowing that she will be a great influence to everyone that come in contact with her. I will always be grateful for the blessing of the many children that has taught me the lessons I need. They have helped me to change for the better. I bear my testimony that Christ is the perfect Son of God that has all these attributes that little children has. He is the Great Exemplar, He is my Savior and Redeemer, and wants each and everyone to come unto Him as a little child so we can all return to our Heavenly home.

2 comments:

  1. Children are wonderful! Their innocence and sincere love for everyone is truly exemplary. That's why I choose to never grow up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the verses that you quoted and I've thought a lot about them, too. It's hard to be like a child when you are an adult with so much responisibility and used to being in control. But this post is a wonderful reminder to us all. Maybe we should read it daily?
    Your sweet cousin is BEAUTIFUL!--Elizabeth

    p.s. I'm having a hard time commenting on your blog. I've read the other two, also, but the computer is being difficult!Sorry!

    ReplyDelete