Tuesday, May 3, 2011

"A Change for the Better"

A Journey of a Lifetime...I love this phrase. We all have a story. We all started somewhere. Mine started May 25, 1989, almost 22 years ago. I was born into a wonderful family, with a Mom and Dad who loved and helped throughout all my life. I grew up with wonderful siblings who were wonderful examples to me, who I looked up to so much. When we were younger we all had a 'role model', ya know the older brother who you wanted to be just like, or the neighbor next door who was an amazing basketball player..whoever or whatever we all had them. But we all have to decide who we want to become, who we will become. I had a very normal childhood. Went to school, played with friends, loved playing with my dog, loved to be outside, went to church, ya know the usual. I had my life planned, don't we all? I would graduate from high school, go on to college, get married, have kids, and live happily ever after. But little did I know, my Heavenly Father had a lot different plan for me, a better plan.


After I graduated I went to BYU Hawaii, I know right? It was amazing! It was just like living a dream there! But after a couple of semesters I felt like I needed to come home. I was dating, working, having fun being 20, not really sure what I was going to do, just enjoying life. Well things in my life took an interesting turn and what I thought was going to be..turned out not to be. Just like a lot of us at this age, there is so much to do, we just don't know what to do. Ever since high school, I always told everyone I am not going to go on a mission, it's not 'for me', I have other plans. A little over a year ago I was driving down the road and I had the strongest feeling come over me that I needed to serve a mission. I laughed. I laughed for a while. The thought kept coming to my head that whole week. And when I finally realized that it wasn't just a thought, but that it was an answer to my prayers, it was something that my Heavenly Father wanted me to do, I was angry. I had never wanted to serve a mission, it wasn't in 'my plans.' I put it in the back of my mind, and decided to go back to BYU Hawaii, so I re-applied and got accepted, but it didn't feel right. And I knew that I need to serve a mission. I was terrified. I didn't really have a strong testimony of the church, and I didn't think I could do it.




But one of my favorite verse in the scripture is, "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not unto thine own understanding, in all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths." (Proverb 3:5-6) I decided to do just that. I knew that my Father in Heaven loved me, and I knew that he would bless me. And although I was not sure how or when or even why, I started filling out my mission papers. I was scared, and I'm going to be honest I doubted a lot. But I had faith, and through that faith, my foundation, my testimony grew and became strengthened. Miracles in my life started happening. I'm here on my mission, it's been 8 months now. And I love it! It's been an amazing journey for me, I've been challenged, tried, and tested many times. It hasn't been peaches and roses everyday. But it's been worth it. I've met amazing people, who have impacted my life for the better. Our Heavenly Father knows each of us, He loves us, and most of all He wants us to be happy. He knows what we need, He knows where we need to go, it is up to us to 'trust in him.' And when we do, we will find greater joy and happiness then we ever thought we could... "Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God." (Ether 12:4) We must have hope, we must have faith. Heavenly Father has a plan for me and for you. Trust in him, follow him, and listen to him. He loves you!



Posted by: Sister Cottle

6 comments:

  1. We are all so glad you listened to the spirit and came out here! Who knows how many lives you've changed for the better by following that prompting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much for that Sister Cottle! I just love you! I'm grateful that you decided to serve a mission too! or else how would we have met the people we were supposed to meet? if that makes any sense! TRUST IN GOD!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this testimonial-how inspiring! Thanks for strengthening our testimonies through this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how Heavenly Father guides our lifes in ways we never expected. As we trust him and come to realize that he knows better than us; we see our life change in the most amazing ways.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Missions are the best! Its so great to be serving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We want pictures of you too! Have hope and faith.

    ReplyDelete