Saturday, May 14, 2011

Through the Grace of the Lord

These past few days I have been studying a lot about the grace of the Lord, Jesus Christ. In the Bible dictionary, grace is defined: 'a divine means of help or strength given through the bounteous mercy and love of Jesus Christ.' Perhaps some of us have not received or known how to use the great gift of grace the Father has given to us through the Atonement of His Son, Jesus Christ.

How many of us, at times, try to resolve life’s challenges ourselves, without seeking the intervention of the Lord in our lives? We try to carry the burden alone. As some are faced with trials and afflictions, they say, “Why won’t God help me?” Some have even struggled with doubts about their prayers and their personal worthiness and say, “Perhaps prayer doesn’t work.” Others who have suffered with sickness, discouragement, financial crisis, rejection, disappointment, and even loss of loved ones may say, “Why won’t the Lord heal me or help me with my son? Why didn’t He prevent her death? Does life have to be this unhappy?” Yes, one might even cry out, “O God, where art thou? … How long shall thy hand be stayed?” (D&C 121:1–2.) I have felt this way at times, but as I have been learning about my Savior and His Atonement I have been filled with peace, comfort, and joy. Brothers and Sisters, I testify that the Lord, through His grace, can continually assist us in our daily lives and in our physical and mental sickness, pain, transgressions, and even in all of our infirmities.

However, to overcome all the trials that we face we must keep our eyes and hearts centered on Jesus Christ. As we build our foundation on Christ, the Son of God, we cannot fall. (Helaman 5:12) I read a talk by Elder Gene R. Cook and I am going to be using his talk a lot. But there are a few principles that he shares with us that will help us obtain that divine help in our own lives and assist in the lives of others as well.



1. Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
How clear Christ’s statement after Peter had walked on the water and then sank: “O, thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?” (Matt. 14:31). The moment Peter doubted, he severed himself from the power that had sustained him as he walked on the water. How many times as we pray for assistance do we cut ourselves off from the power of God because of doubt or fear? But how clear and positive the result of faith is: being justified by faith, we have peace with God through the Lord Jesus Christ.


2. Humility with a repentant heart.
The Lord teaches another great principle in another scripture: “If men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them” (Ether 12:27; italics added). By effectively humbling ourselves and repenting of our sins, we invite Christ to enter our lives, to buoy us up and help us with life’s difficulties. We also must learn how to submit to the will of God in all things. We must repent to have the enabling power of grace, and there can be no question that all of us must repent on a continual basis.

3. Sacrifice, doing all in our power.
A person must do all in his own power. Then the grace of God can come into play in his life.
“For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do” (2 Ne. 25:23). What a glorious principle to understand, that the Lord’s assistance to us—whether man, woman, or child, of strong or weak faith—is not so much based on what we know, nor even on what we can offer the Lord, but more clearly upon our giving all that we can give in our present circumstances.

4. Obedience to the commandments.
There are many scriptures that say we must keep the commandments. A man does not have to be perfect right now to receive an answer to his prayers, but he has to be humble in his heart and trying his best to fulfill the commandments. Then the Lord will assist him.
“For if you keep my commandments you shall receive of his fullness, and be glorified in me as I am in the Father; therefore, I say unto you, you shall receive grace for grace. …
“He that keepeth his commandments receiveth truth and light, until he is glorified in truth and knoweth all things” (D&C 93:20, 28; italics added).


What a great counsel given to us by one of God's chosen servants. I know this to be true. That it is only through the grace of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ where we can receive that divine help to overcome all things! "God sent His Beloved Son, Jesus Christ, into the world so that all of God’s children would have the possibility of returning to live in His presence after they die. Only through the Savior’s grace and mercy can we become clean from sin so that we can live in our Heavenly Father’s presence. Becoming clean from sin is being healed spiritually." (Preach My Gospel, pp. 60) What a great blessing this is! I know that I need grace for my ultimate salvation and I need its enabling power every day of my life. As I draw near to my Heavenly Father in diligence, humility, and meekness, He will uplift and strengthen me through His grace. His grace will enable me to build God's kingdom, a service I cannot give through my strength or means alone. Just like the apostle Paul, so valiant in proclaiming the gospel, suffered weakness and was plagued by its effects on him. Nevertheless, when he prayed to have the weakness removed, the Lord answered, “My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness.” Paul then went on to exclaim, “Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me” (2 Corinthians 12:9). I know that God loves me. I know that my Savior lives. He will lift me up from my burdens if I put my faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, humble myself and repent daily, sacrifice all that I have, and keep His commandments. And through His grace, I can continue to progress and grow in righteousness:)

No comments:

Post a Comment