Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Divine Gift of Gratitude



President Gordon B. Hinckley said, “When you walk with gratitude, you do not walk with arrogance and conceit and egotism, you walk with a spirit of thanksgiving that is becoming to you and will bless your lives.”

As Thanksgiving is coming up soon, I started thinking about the many blessings that have been given to me. Then I came upon this scripture above and it made me think more about it. We all know that Thanksgiving Day is a time for us to be thankful and grateful for the blessings we have. According to the Wikipedia Encyclopedia this is what it means: "Thanksgiving was a holiday to express thankfulness, gratitude, and appreciation to God, family and friends for which all have been blessed of material possessions and relationships." Is it only on Thanksgiving Day that we give thanks?
In the Book of Mormon, Amulek testifies about giving thanks to the Lord daily. It says, "That ye contend no more against the Holy Ghost, but that ye receive it, and take upon you the name of Christ; that ye humble yourselves even to the dust, and worship God, in whatsoever place ye may be, in spirit and in truth; and that ye live in thanksgiving daily, for the many mercies and blessings which he doth bestow upon you." (Alma 34:38)
How blessed are we to have a loving Heavenly Father that pours out blessings to us daily. And sometimes we often forget because of the trails we face, the hardships, or we just get to caught up with life. I am so grateful for my Heavenly Father and for all the things He has given me. I want to express my gratitude and thanks to Him daily, "by night and by day because I know if I do these things, I will be lifted up at the last day." Alma 37:37

No comments:

Post a Comment