Thursday, December 9, 2010

Compassion


As I was doing my personal study this morning, I read in the Book of Mormon, 3 Nephi 17. And the first few verses really stood out to me. How compassionate Jesus Christ was! It reminded me of a quote from President Monsoon on one of his talks titled "The Gift of Compassion," and he says:

“Those who grieve frequently find themselves alone. Missed is the laughter of children, the commotion of teenagers, and the tender, loving concern of a departed companion. The clock ticks more loudly, time passes more slowly, and four walls can indeed a prison make. I extol those who, with loving care and compassionate concern, feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and house the homeless. He who notes the sparrow’s fall will not be unmindful of such service.” -President Thomas S. Monsoon


As I was reading this chapter in the Book of Mormon, Jesus said in the first verse that His time is at hand. He needed to go back to the Father. But He said, "my bowels are filled with compassion towards you." (Verse 6) He healed the sick, the blind, and the afflicted because of their faith. And when we do the things that He has commanded us because the Father has said so, our faith will grow. And he will bless us because of our faith and when we have faith in Him, he is full of joy. (Verse 20)


This quote and this chapter in the Book of Mormon taught me a lot about how being compassionate to the ones around us while serving can help us in many ways. The clock is really ticking...just like Jesus' time was at hand...ours is too! By fulfilling the promises that we made with our Father in heaven through the example of our dear Savior, we can be full of love towards our brothers and sisters. And I know as we do this, our Father in heaven is happy and his heart is full of joy!

2 comments:

  1. The Savior is an amazing example to all of us how loving and compassionate He is. I love my Savior so very much and am very grateful for the example that He is to us all!

    ReplyDelete