Saturday, December 11, 2010

Lifting Up Your Burdens

This chapter in the Book of Mormon is one of my favorites. It helps me a lot when I am struggling with a lot of things in my life.


Mosiah 24

A little background about this chapter;

Amulon gained favor of the King of the Lamanites and was appointed a teacher over the people. But they knew nothing about God, that they didn't teach or prophecy about God. They were prideful with their gain and riches that they began to be wicked and started persecuting Alma. Because he was teaching the words of the previous prophets, Abinadi and the words of God. Alma and his people started pouring out their hearts to Heavenly Father in prayer asking for help, but Amulon commanded hi guards to put them to death if they were to pray.
With their exceeding faith, "Alma and his people did not raise their voices to the Lord their God, but did pour out their hearts to him; and he did know the thoughts of their hearts. And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage. And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions." (Verse 12-14)
It is so comforting to know how much the Lord loves each and everyone of us. It reminds me of the poem "Footprints." And it gives me peace to know that through the trials that I am going through, the Lord is there with me. And at times, we may think He is not...but He will always be there. As we put out trust in Him, and have that confidence that He will help us through the hard times, calling on His name, he will deliver us from our trials. "And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light;yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the of the Lord." (Verse 15)
The trails, challenges, or weaknesses we go through are there to make us stronger. This few verses gives me comfort and peace whenever I am going through the hard times in my life. I am so grateful for the Atonement of my Savior, Jesus Christ. That through His sacrifices I am able to overcome the afflictions that I go through, and He will lift my burdens and strengthen me.

1 comment: