Tuesday, December 7, 2010

“There is no love without forgiveness, and there is no forgiveness without love.” -Bryant H. McGill

As I was studying this morning in the seventh chapter of Luke for an investigator that had a question about this particular story, I learned a lot about forgiveness. It is funny how I have been reading and studying a lot about forgiveness. But to me, I feel like Heavenly Father is speaking to me. I know am not perfect and I am so very grateful for the Atonement and the chance I have to repent of my sins.

Last week, we had a Sister Missionary Conference at our Mission home. We started the conference by introducing ourselves, sharing our testimonies, a great lunch, and a profound message from our mission President. The spirit was so strong and I was strengthened by the beautiful testimonies that I heard. One thing that really stood out to me was a letter the President shared with us by a missionary. And it really hit me hard, because I have felt the same way at times while I am here serving. It gave me peace and comfort to know that I am a daughter of Heavenly Father and He loves me. The letter was basically just about a missionary that felt he was unworthy to be out here on the field at times. From his past sins, he felt like he should not be here serving, even though he has repented of his sins. Our president confirmed with us that Heavenly Father is a loving and forgiving Father; that "he who has repented of his sins, the same is forgiven, and I, the Lord, remember them no more." (D&C 58:42) The Lord does forgive and forget, and it is very comforting to know that. He says, "though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow;though they be red as a crimson, they shall be as wool." (Isaiah 1:18) President Bunker said, "We don't walk around with a scarlet letter on our forehead of our past. Our future is pure!"
As I left the conference and on the drive back, I was pondering a lot about the message that I have heard. And I felt that assurance that I have been forgiven of my sins and Heavenly Father has forgotten all about it, because I have repented. But as I was pondering a lot about it...at times it is hard to forgive ourselves and that's what makes it harder for us to forget our sins. But a great comment was given by one of the sisters. And she said, "Sometimes Heavenly Father wants us to remember our sins, not to feel bad about, but to remember how it made us feel as a reminder of not doing it again." But if we put our trust in the Lord and have faith, "[He] will ease the burdens which are put upon [our] shoulders, that even [we] cannot feel them upon [our]backs, even while [we] are in bondage; and this will [He] do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions." (Mosiah 24:14) And those burdens; burdens of forgiving, trust, sins, etc..."the Lord [does] strengthen [us] that [we] could bear up [our] burdens with ease." (Mosiah 24:15) If we put our trust in Him and believe that the Atonement will help us overcome any weaknesses we have.

I know that my sins can be forgiven and forgotten as long as I repent and live righteously. I am so grateful for my Savior and His atoning sacrifice. That through Him, I will be lifted up from the burdens that are weighing me down. And as I put my trust in Him, I will be made free and at peace.

1 comment:

  1. The two parts you quoted from Mosiah reminded me of my favorite verse in the bible. 1st Corinthians 10:13--"No temptation has seized you except what is common to man, and God is faithful. He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear, but when you are tempted He will provide a way to stand up under it."

    ReplyDelete